Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Motherhood

I just had to take a second to write down a couple of my thoughts. Last night I was talking with some friends about being a mom and the challenges of having toddlers and babies. I have to admit there have been plenty of times I have been frustrated, upset, worn out, fatigued, etc. but I try to remember that this is just a small part of my life. I mean if I live to like 80 or 90 what is a few years with little kids? Not much. When I am old I want to have lots of family, lots of grandkids around me. I mean how much fun is it to get together with family and go on vacations or just hang out? Obviously the only way to have that is to have kids. The most important thing we have is our family and yes having little kids is difficult but nothing worthwhile has ever been easy. I know as women we want to have time to do our own things, to pursue our own goals, but as it says in the scriptures everything has a season. For me I have always wanted to have a career in history, I want to get a PhD, teach college, research, and write. There will be a time for that. If I have one more child, it will be six, seven years until I can really pursue that career full time, but as I mentioned earlier what a small amount of time compared to a whole lifetime. Also, how much more joy and happiness can my family bring me than any aspect of a career. Marina was just doing wheels on the bus go round and round and that made me smile more than any A on any paper. I'm not saying women shouldn't take time for themselves, in fact I think they should because it makes us better wives and mothers to take care of ourselves first. I'm just suggesting we take a step back and realize how short this time is that we have with our little children and try and treasure that time.

4 comments:

Amy and Cameron said...

You're so right, Natalie! It's hard to remember those insights at times, but being a mom is all-in-all the best! Kids grow up too quickly to wish it away. It looks like you're all doing great. Cute hair!

Deanna said...

Great perspective. It reminds me that when I'm feeling down for maybe not getting to do some of the things I want to right now, there will be a chance later - my time will come. That will help me to remember to taken advantage of the time w/ my kids now. :o)

Jamie said...

amen sista! thanks for the reminder! you win mom of the year award!!

Steuer Family News said...

Your girls and you are so beautiful! It looks like your family is growing up fast! I know what you mean about having personal goals and aspirations and that sometimes motherhood can be exhausting. But I am grateful, just like you, to be a mother and to know that it is the most important thing I can do, that I can aspire to. Take care and have a great day!