Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Dreaded Subject: Politics

I usually make it a policy to not discuss politics with friends, family, or just about anyone but lately the subject seems to come up again and again. We were with some friends last weekend camping (lots of fun, more on that later), when the the presidential election came up. There was a lot of discussing and people trying to figure out how to find out the truth about the candidates and what they say. After we got home, I couldn't help but wonder how do we find the truth? Well, I am reading the biography of President Hinckley, Go Forward With Faith, and I actually recalled a quote by President Hinckley which answered my question. He was on an airplane talking with someone about the church and the man admitted to President Hinckley that he had received all his information about our church from his own church. President Hinckley asked what company the man worked for and he said IBM. So President Hinckley replied, "How would you feel if your customers learned about your products from a Xerox representative?" So I applied that thought to the election. If I want to find out what Obama and McCain really stand for why not hear it from them? I listened to both of their acceptance speeches and have been reading their views and plans for the country on their own websites. Of course, it is hard to trust politicians so I found a non-partisan website called factcheck.org. It is a great website and states the truth about what each politician says. Check it out for yourself. Anyways, I feel it is important to vote, but we should not vote based on the rumors, lies, and slander plastered across the television and email. Our country needs a good, strong president and we need to vote for the person not the R or the D behind the name. That is just my opinion.

1 comment:

Cassie and Mark said...

Thanks for the websites. I plan to check them out and form my own opinions.